Monday, September 25, 2023

Message from the Chair: Kelsey Funes (Volume I)

I am so honored to assume the Division 1 mantle from my friend, Tom Dunn, and look forward to carrying on his good work.

For those of you who don’t know me, I’d like to take this opportunity to share a bit about my background. I grew up in New Orleans and went to LSU for undergraduate and law school. (Geaux Tigers!) I started my practice in 1997 at Phelps Dunbar LLP in Baton Rouge, where I still practice today. I manage the litigation group in the Baton Rouge office of the firm. I practice as a construction lawyer full time and serve on the Construction Panel of the American Arbitration Association and serve as a mediator in construction cases.

I am married to Dr. Chris Funes (the world’s best pediatrician) and we are the parents to two high schoolers. My son is a high school senior and my daughter is a sophomore. So, when I am not lawyering, I have been spending my time lately touring colleges, prepping for homecoming, and helping to teach my daughter to drive (all very relaxing!!). We also have a very sweet (and very hairy) rescue dog, Maggie, who makes sure we get lots of walks.

I started attending Forum meetings almost 20 years ago. Division 1 created a gateway for me to build relationships and learn how to be a better construction lawyer. I’ve gained so much value from the Forum and can’t wait to pay it forward!

During my tenure as chair, I plan to keep up all the fantastic work that Division 1 has been doing. Over the next year, we will be focusing several of our programs on discovery which is the bread and butter for litigators and is in a season of change with the incorporation of AI. I have found that the best way to maximize Forum membership and deepen Forum relationships is by helping to do the work of the Forum.

I’m looking forward to seeing many of you in Washington D.C. later this week at the Forum’s Fall Meeting. We will be kicking off the meeting with a 2-hour planning retreat on Wednesday morning (September 27) at 9 am which any Division 1 member should feel free to join. 

On Wednesday afternoon we are presenting another fantastic practicum, A Guide to Bid Protests, which will offer valuable insight from experienced speakers on how to successfully prosecute a bid protest. 

On Thursday (September 28), our luncheon presentation is "A View from the Arbitrator’s Bench" which should not be missed by anyone who arbitrates construction cases. 

Finally, on Thursday evening, we will have a great time socializing and playing mini golf with D1 friends new and old at The Puttery. For tickets, go to the following link: http://Sendomatic.com/eY2Vk or find me or a member of the D1 Steering Committee to get the QR code to sign up. If you are attending the Fall meeting, I invite you to join us for all of these outstanding activities.

I look forward to working with all of you and encourage anyone with program ideas and suggestions to reach out to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment